Come celebrate the Solstice, Hanukah, Christmas, Kwanza or whatever else fills your heart with cheer this time of year. Join your Overlook neighbors at our annual Holiday Potluck Party. Please bring a dish to share if you are able.
Overlook Neighborhood Holiday Party
Friday, Dec. 9, 6-8 p.m.
Daybreak Cohousing (2525 N Killingsworth St.)
Did water pool in the street outside your home? Did you have to jump over deep puddles to get to your car? Portland’s storm drains could use your help.
Storm drains help drain storm water quickly and efficiently and keep our streets safe.
But when drains get clogged with fallen leaves and other debris, it can lead to ponding water in our streets and at our intersections. That makes it harder to drive, walk, bike and roll around town.
Portland Bureau of Transportation crews work hard to keep the drains clear. But with over 58,000 drains in the city, they can’t get to all of them.
That’s why PBOT is asking Portlanders to adopt storm drains in their neighborhoods and help to keep them free and clear of leaves.
When clearing a storm drain, please keep these tips in mind:
- If possible, clear the drain before it starts raining.
- Clear about 10 feet on both sides of the drain.
- Clear from the sidewalk, not the street. Wear reflective clothing so vehicles can see you.
- Always wear gloves and be careful of sharp objects!
- Use a rake, shovel or broom – not your hands.
- Watch out for traffic. Don’t clear drains that are in the middle of a street.
- Be careful of standing water to avoid slipping or stepping on sharp objects.
- If children are helping, make sure adults are supervising.
- Don’t try to lift storm drain grates. They are very heavy.
- Let city crews handle garbage or any hazards in the catch basin.
- Clear surface debris only.
If the drain is still clogged after you’ve removed the surface debris, please call our Maintenance Dispatchers at 503-823-1700 or email email@example.com to report it.
Thank you for helping keep Overlook’s and Portland’s streets clear and safe!
Package theft typically increases during the holidays. To prevent it, choose a safer delivery option:
- Arrange to pick up packages at the carrier or retail establishment.
- Require a signature on deliveries.
- Opt for deliveries to lockers or other secured locations where possible. In Overlook, Amazon has lockers available 24 hours at the N Killingsworth Street and N. Going Street Plaid Pantries.
- Ship your package to a location where someone you trust will be available to receive it.
- If it is offered, track the status of your delivery by email, text or other alert. If you are going on vacation, make sure that no shipments will be delivered while you are away.
Although camera surveillance is beneficial to your home’s overall security, it will not deter package thieves.
Please be alert and report crime and suspicious activity in your neighborhood such as someone stealing a package or trailing a delivery truck by bike or car. For immediate threats to life or property or crimes in progress, call 9-1-1. For non-immediate threats occurring in Portland, call the police non-emergency number at 503-823-3333.